Getting Found In Local Search Results 2019
WHAT IS LOCAL SEARCH?
Local search results are the listings that are shown on search engines (primarily Google) for people looking for your product or service in your local area. They depend on proximity, GMB profile, web design, and the credibility of your site around the web.
The best place to show up is on the first page of results and preferably in the “map three pack.” These are the three listings that are shown along with the interactive map in your browser. These are the areas that the highest number of clicks occur.
WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE THERE?
The answer is that’s where the results happen. You can pay for ads all day but you increase your chances of getting a click by showing up organically. 33% of clicks occur in the Three Pack and another 44% in the First Page organic Results. Even if you are paying for ads, these listings are highly competitive for for consumer attention. 5 Best Practices For Local SEO 2019
1. GOOGLE MY BUSINESS LISTING
I don’t care if you hate Google. If you want to be Getting Found In Local Search Results 2019, this is the single most important piece of your SEO efforts and the foundation for all the other sections we’ll cover.
- Listing Information – Your listing information NEEDS to be verified, complete and accurate. An actual physical address is an important factor.
- Category Selection – Primary selection is important. Add additional categories to match your business.
- Images – Adding accurate imagery and geo-tagging them
- Reviews – Reviews don’t play AS much as a factor in rankings but having a large number of 5 star reviews will ensure that once you hit the top, you’ll get the most clicks.
- Posts – A somewhat new feature. Updates, events, and offers that last 7 days in the search results. Ongoing effort.
2. ON-PAGE OPTIMIZATION
Now we move over to your actual website to do some on page work that will help google know that you are legitimate.
- H1 Tags – This is the primary tag on your home page(and other pages) and should be aligned with the business category you selected on GMB.
- Mobile Experience – Google is s stickler for mobile these days so make sure you are doing everything you can to make your website mobile first.
- Keywords Placement – Using your business listing keyword throughout the page in an easy to read manner as well as your location will help Google verify that you are in the right location.
- Schema Markup – This is more technical code stuff but adding your contact information in the actual markup of the page is a fast and easy way to be compliant with voice search and verify that information with Google.
- Footer – who cares about the footer right? Google Does. Use your GMB profile info to fill out your footer including business hours. The more accurate that information is the better you will rank.
Citations are mentions of your business anywhere on the web. So other listing sites like Yelp, Angies List, Houzz, Home Advisor, Foursquare etc… Wherever you can find a link to your website make sure you also have the correct NAP information. Name, Address, Phone Number.
Backlinks are hard to obtain but play a major role in giving your website authority. These are links from credible sources that organically link back to your website. Guest blog, BBB or Chambers, Press Releases…
Thanks for reading!